At least three individuals have been transported to a hospital, two of them with severe accidents, after an explosion and fireplace on Saturday morning at a strip mall in Harrisonburg, Va., the authorities stated.
The reason behind the explosion was unknown however was below investigation, Michael Parks, a spokesman for town, which is about 130 miles northwest of Richmond, stated at a information convention. He stated the two-story strip mall was a “complete loss.”
Mr. Parks stated firefighters have been trying to find anybody who is likely to be unaccounted for on the buying heart, which consisted of about 4 companies, together with a music retailer and a recording studio.
Those injured have been exterior the strip mall when emergency responders arrived, Chief Matthew Tobia of the Harrisonburg Fire Department stated at a information convention on Saturday morning.
Officials at James Madison University stated on Facebook that amongst these injured was one in every of its college students, who was transported to a hospital with minor accidents and was anticipated to be launched quickly.
Details on these critically injured weren’t instantly out there. Two different college college students have been handled on the scene and launched.
The college students have been taking part in an unspecified neighborhood occasion off campus, the college stated.
“The university is thankful to all first responders actively working on scene,” the assertion stated.
Technicians from Columbia Gas of Virginia have been serving to within the emergency response, the corporate stated in a press release.
“Our trained crews are working in partnership with emergency management authorities to help assess the incident and ensure safety,” the assertion stated.
Some close by buildings have been broken however not critically within the explosion, which was reported round 8:30 a.m.
Some companies within the mall confirmed their workers have been protected.
“We have received information from our landlord that the store has been destroyed by an explosion,” a consultant for one of many shops, Hometown Music, wrote on Facebook. “We were not open and the employees are OK. Thanks for you concern and prayers. … That’s all I know for now.”
Another retailer, Blue Sprocket Sound, wrote on Facebook: “We don’t have all the details yet about what happened at our building. But at this time our crew is safe, and that’s the most important thing. Our hearts go out to the other businesses in the area, and want to thank all the first responders who are working hard on the scene.”
Christopher B. Jones, a City Council member, requested residents to wish for the enterprise homeowners affected, those that have been injured and for emergency responders. “We’re praying for them and hoping that everyone comes out of this safe and alive,” he stated.